< REFRESH >
Topic Title: How to care for your skin during pregnancy
Created On: 01/25/2010 03:00 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

09/21/2013 12:54 PM

Author Icon
marie33

My relative's wife recently gave birth to twins; it seems they are not uncommon in her family. She tried diligently when she was pregnant to stop stretch marks from occurring by moisturizing on an ongoing basis. However, her stomach just got too big, and subsequently, she could not prevent the marks from forming. Has anyone who has had twins been successful in stopping stretch marks? If so, how do you believe you accomplished this? Did your stomach elasticity rebound?
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 10/31/2011 03:52 PM

Author Icon
Cher777

I completely agree, Amari. Some creams are certainly better than others, but most work to bring moisture to the skin and minimize (or prevent) stretch marks. Naturally, pregnant women must make sure the cream is doctor-approved. Natural types are preferred over ones that possess chemicals. Actually, I think that coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and vitamin E (okay, they are oils instead of creams) are good ones to try; still, first check with your physician. He or she may have an even better idea to try.
 10/04/2011 10:53 AM

Author Icon
AmariT

There's a difference between prevention and treatment, though. It's true that creams can't really fix stretch marks once they're there, but it's possible that creams can prevent stretch marks if you apply them while pregnant. They hydrate the skin and help it to stretch without tearing.
 09/27/2011 04:09 PM

Author Icon
Cher777

I do not have personal knowledge of non-ablative lasers for stretch marks, but I have read some encouraging articles about the procedure. Non-ablative lasers are ones that do not burn the outer surface of the skin, so downtime is minimal. Yet, impressive results have been realized from the treatment, but more than one will likely be needed.

Pregnancy does change the body, and few women are able to look exactly as they did before they became pregnant (and some don’t care because the positives undoubtedly outweigh skin imperfections). Still, for those who want to diminish stretch marks and realize smoother, more enhanced skin tone, laser treatments could be the way to go. Has anyone undergone this procedure for stretch marks?
 08/03/2011 12:12 PM

Author Icon
ppatel24

Stretch Marks is a condition that occurs in the dermal layer of the skin. Therefore, applying creams can only help minimize them, not completely remove them. I have not been pregnant yet, but my aunt got stretch marks in her first pregnancy and she applied cocoa butter every day and she still has them. In her second pregnancy, her stretch marks did not get worst, which was probably because she applied cocoa butter everyday between her first and second pregnancies. I think the best method of getting rid of stretch marks is getting an operative procedure done. So basically, I believe that these products can only minimize stretch marks, and not completely get rid of them.
 03/15/2011 12:22 PM

Author Icon
moodyrah

I've heard that applying cocoa butter every day to your body really helps.
 12/08/2009 12:00 AM

Author Icon
AI

Thanks Melissa! My sister is 7 months pregnant, and she'll have skin issues that will need to be addressed, stretch marks being one of them.
 08/24/2009 12:00 AM

Author Icon
MelissaDAmico

I came across this article on EmpowHer.com about different treatments for stretch marks. Has anyone tried any of them and had successful results? Does anyone have any other successful treatments that aren't included in the article? Please share! http://www.empowher.com/news/h...retch-mark-creams-work

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Use this Physician Finder to find highly qualified physicians who treat stretch marks and striae in the United States and Australia.
audio
Interview with Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Listen to this exclusive audio clip from an interview with Scars1 Hero ...
more more Featured Videos
Advanced BMI Calculator

Sudden weight gain or loss can cause stretch marks, which are a form of scarring. Try to keep your body shape within a healthy range for your gender. This assessment tool may help.

Advanced BMI Calculator

Depression Screener

Did you know that the trauma that causes scars can lead to depression that can affect daily life? If you are feeling anxious, sad, or confused, you are not alone and there are healthcare professionals who can help. Try this short depression screener to learn more.

Depression Screener
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Sponsorship Program | Editorial Policy
Last updated: Mar 26, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.