< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Stretch marks could be a problem if you go from obese to fit
Created On: 01/25/2010 02:57 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

09/21/2013 12:39 PM

Author Icon
marie33

Thanks for the advice, Cher, I will pass the information along to my cousin. He has had a problem with his weight for the past ten years or so. Truthfully, his hectic lifestyle and fast food visits do not help the situation. From what I understand, he grabs food items like burgers and fried chicken from take-out joints on a regular basis. Still, he declares he would like to lose weight, and I believe him. I will share your advice about stretch marks, I know men get them, too.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/08/2011 12:43 PM

Author Icon
Cher777

Stretch marks can counteract the joy of weight loss, so it is important to circumvent them as best as possible. How? A proper diet is important, one rich in fruits and leafy vegetables (what goes inside tends to show on the outside). Also, regularly drink water; this will help to hydrate the skin. Shea butter and cocoa butter are effective in helping the skin stay moisturized, so apply every day. Lastly, stimulate the skin by massaging stretch mark-prone areas; massage encourages improved circulation. Consistency is key with all of the above. Good luck!

07/27/2011 09:40 PM

Author Icon
gracey

you can try Metaderm cream. i'm just not sure which specific variant is for stretch marks. you can check their website for that. i've been using this cream for dark spots and sometimes hyperpigmentation. you can give it a try.
 07/01/2011 08:44 AM

Author Icon
AllisonAWE

I've tried things like cocoa butter lotion when I've tried losing weight. When I was a dancer during my teenage years, every growth spurt was accompanied by stretch marks in response to my sudden change in size. After starting college, very faint lines appeared as my muscle mass decreased.

The long and short of it is that stretch marks appear for a variety of reasons. Some of mine have faded with time, but many are still there. Moisturizing did seem to help, a bit. To avoid stretchmarks with weight loss, it seems that the solution is to take it slow, allowing your skin the time to adjust.
 09/22/2010 10:38 AM

Author Icon
xzhao

IT is the same advice froom the post under "weight loss" folder. I think VE is useful. I am trying to lose weight, if I have some chance to reach my goal and suffer this problem, I will share my experience.
 05/06/2010 10:04 AM

Author Icon
hillaryhoffman

Good point! Stretch marks often result from rapid weight loss. One of my friends had a similar experience – her happiness at losing her extra weight and engaging in a healthier lifestyle was countered by her depression at getting ugly stretch marks all over her stomach and back!

Fortunately, there are ways to reduce or even eliminate stretch marks. Look here for an overview of the different possibilities. My friend had some success with topical creams containing vitamin A (retinoids).

Pregnant women are often advised to treat their skin with cocoa butter or vitamin E containing creams to improve the skin’s elasticity and prevent stretch mark formation. Has anyone tried this during a weight-loss program?

01/15/2010 12:00 AM

Author Icon
RunnersHigh

Every new year (often) starts with the same old or very common new year's resolutions. Always in the top ten: losing weight by exercising more and eating healthier. Soon you will see more people signing up at gyms, buying walking/running shoes at running stores, choosing fresh produce from the farmer's market, taking the stairs at work, and the list goes on.

Needless to say not everybody who started with great enthusiasm will actually still be on track in February or even in the summer and achieve his/her goals. However, what about the people who can show significant weight loss? Are they ready to buy a new bikini or swim shorts and hit the beach with their amazed friends?

The answer is NO! Because most people who lose a lot of weight (fat) do not lose the 'abundance of skin.' The consequence are stretch marks. A friend of mine who became a gym rate a year ago now faces this new challenge, but does not know what to do about it? He basically feels as embarrassed as he felt when he was overweight.

So if you wanna go from obese to very fit or somewhere in between, be aware of stretch marks.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Use this Physician Finder to find highly qualified physicians who treat stretch marks and striae in the United States and Australia.
drs
Laser Treatment to Remove Stretch Marks
Cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Simon Ourian uses the CoolBeam laser treatment ...
more more Featured Videos
Advanced BMI Calculator

Sudden weight gain or loss can cause stretch marks, which are a form of scarring. Try to keep your body shape within a healthy range for your gender. This assessment tool may help.

Advanced BMI Calculator

Depression Screener

Did you know that the trauma that causes scars can lead to depression that can affect daily life? If you are feeling anxious, sad, or confused, you are not alone and there are healthcare professionals who can help. Try this short depression screener to learn more.

Depression Screener
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Sponsorship Program | Editorial Policy
Last updated: Dec 18, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.