< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Perspective
Created On: 07/30/2013 12:31 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

01/09/2014 04:08 PM

Author Icon
Elric

I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to look your best and taking strides to achieve that, as long as it doesn't negatively affect other areas of your life. I saw a newstory awhile aback about a woman who pulled her daughter out of private school so that she could pay her plastic surgery bills. That's a bit extreme. I think that sometimes people can overdo things--get too obsessed with looking like the girls in the magazines when that's not possible, starve themselves in the attempt to lose weight, let low self-esteem in some areas make them depressed in other areas, etc--but you also hear about the other extreme where people act like doing anything to improve your appearance is frivolous, and I don't think that's true at all. People should be allowed to do what makes them happy.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/15/2013 06:29 PM

Author Icon
Cher777

Marie, I cannot speak for anyone else, but it seems you could have a point. Naturally, I think most of us would like to look the best we can. Regrettably, annoyances like scars, stretch marks, and hard to heal wounds, stand in the way of that ideal. Yet, there are times when I become overwhelmed by what is taking place around me; and, at some level, I feel helpless to change it. When this happens, I do tend to fixate on outward appearances. I guess I feel "personal imperfections" are more within my control, so I have a better shot at tackling these particular problems.

08/26/2013 03:33 PM

Author Icon
marie33

Yes, I do agree with what you said; there are often far more pressing issues in the world rather than skin imperfections (especially relatively minor ones). Naturally, most of us want to look the best that we can, but in the whole scheme of things, flaws should never dominate our mind.Yet, I wonder if we sometimes fixate on perceived imperfections because it distracts us from the larger problems in which we have little or no control. Perhaps I am over-analyzing. Does anyone else have thoughts about this?

07/30/2013 12:31 PM

Author Icon
Cher777

I love reading about different treatments for imperfections like scarring, stretch marks, wrinkles, lines, enlarged pores, etc. I have a few of these conditions and would like to minimize the marks as best as I can.Still, I think some of us have to stand back and reflect. Certain people are so affected by perceived flaws, they ultimately allow the marks to preoccupy their minds and/or rule their lives. There are much more pressing issues to confront in life, so try to put everything in the best possible perspective.Do you agree?

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Use this Physician Finder to find highly qualified physicians who treat stretch marks and striae in the United States and Australia.
Julie Chen
CBS News HealthWatch Stretch Marks
CBS Anchor Julie Chen spoke with Dermatologist Dr. Jeanine Downie about ...
more more Featured Videos
Advanced BMI Calculator

Sudden weight gain or loss can cause stretch marks, which are a form of scarring. Try to keep your body shape within a healthy range for your gender. This assessment tool may help.

Advanced BMI Calculator

Depression Screener

Did you know that the trauma that causes scars can lead to depression that can affect daily life? If you are feeling anxious, sad, or confused, you are not alone and there are healthcare professionals who can help. Try this short depression screener to learn more.

Depression Screener
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Sponsorship Program | Editorial Policy
Last updated: Dec 18, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.